Monday, January 17, 2011

Modern Perspectives of Antiquity



Shortly after 5.30 PM this past Saturday, I arrived at Akasha Art Gallery for the opening of Jonathan Groeneweg's exhibition, Modern Perspectives of Antiquity: Reflections of Laos & Cambodia. When I go to the top of the stairs and stepped into the gallery itself, which is a small, intimate and inviting place, there was already a good crowd of people, who were clustered into small groups engaged in conversations and drinking wine. Along the left wall one of his beautiful images, Luang Prabang River Gardens (Nam Khan River, Luang Prabang), a composite of 25 images and measuring 18 inches high by 96 inches long, sprawled across a large portion of its length. It was marked as a limited edition, only 1 of 5.

While I was there, I had a chance to chat with the artist himself. I explained how I had become associated with his exhibition, the humanitarian work which Steve and Mike are doing in Laos, and my own involvement with Adopt a Village in Laos.

The exhibition will be running for about a month and closes on February 10. In that time, I will be encouraging my friends and other people that I know to visit this exhibition. In addition to having the newsletters and magazine displayed at the gallery, I have taken some of the cards promoting this exhibition and displayed them with the Adopt a Village in Laos newsletters at my local cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment