Sunday, June 19, 2011

Making Connections: Going Green



Last night I did another presentation of 'To Laos with Love: Presentation Series' on the patio of Java Jive, where I am conducting these events twice a month throughout the summer. In attendance that evening was a local political figure, Ellen Michelson, who had run as a Green Party candidate in our last federal election.

After the presentation, we chatted for a little while about how we can increase public awareness of Adopt a Village in Laos in Toronto, with particular emphasis on the water filters campaign for 2011-2012. She offered me some excellent options for venues where Adopt a Village in Laos could maximize its public exposure and hopefully increase water filter donations.

This morning I went on Facebook and personally thanked her for attending my presentation. I also asked her if she could email me her ideas. Within a couple of hours, I received an email with those very details.

One of the biggest and potentially greatest opportunities for exposure is on Sunday, July 3 when Toronto celebrates its annual Gay Pride Day. Like many other organizations that day, the Green Party will have a booth set up on the street. I have an open invitation from Ellen to share this booth with Green Party representatives, where I will be able to interact with and educate the public about Adopt a Village in Laos and distribute the water filter brochures.

In mid-July, the Green Party will have a table set up at a community event called Sunday in the Park. Granted, this will be a smaller event, but it will still give Adopt a Village in Laos a public presence.

On Saturday, September 10, the Green Party will be participating in an annual street event, called The Cabbagetown Parade & Festival. Just as at Pride, I have an invitation to share their booth to raise awareness for Adopt a Village in Laos.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Roland - way to go!!! On Pride Sunday I will be busy at a brunch, at the PFLAG booth on Church (possibly at Gloucester), and then walking in the Parade. In between these activities I will try to find the Green Party booth and drop in for a chat.

    ReplyDelete